Saturday, February 15, 2014

Jungle Book Movie Night

Disney brought the Jungle Book out of the vault and released it on Blu-Ray this week. So I decided to make it our next movie night. It was a ton of fun!
Before I put Little Man down for his afternoon nap, I had the kids color pages that would later become a jungle crown. I found these on spoonful.com. While they colored I made some jungle vines to hang from the light fixture and along the ceiling above the table.  
HD was so excited when I gave her the pages to color because she finally knew what our movie night theme was going to be.
I took a roll of brown paper and crumpled it up. Then I added two different shades of green leaves that I'd cut out. It was a simple but fun way to throw in some jungle décor. I got the leaf template from beccashome. I sized the small leaves to be about 3 inches by 5 inches.
HD loved the 'branches' hanging from the light fixture and told me that my craft was cute and fun.
I also cut out four large leaves to use as place mats. I made these by folding a poster board in half and then tracing widely around an 8x10 image of the leaf to make it bigger. I did this with two pieces of poster board.
Then I put some plates on them.
While Little Man was napping I had HD cut out her leaves and pieces for her jungle crown. I cut out Little Man's.
I set the table in preparation for dinner and put out our menus and movie tickets.
I couldn't find any tickets already made and ready to print out, so I made some using the same layout as the Mulan tickets I made a couple of weeks ago.  
This was the cover to our menu. I used jungle juice font and added our name to it.
For dinner we had Mowgli's animal friends pasta, Bagheera's tails (breadsticks), and Baloo's fruit skewers. We had jungle juice (green punch) to drink and for desert we had King Louie's banana splits.
We had three crafts and two activities planned.
Here is the back cover of the menu.
I decided to make the character images green on the inside of the menu. I also used the jungle juice font.
Then it was time to start on dinner. A work friend of mine was kind enough to donate some animal pasta that she had laying around. It was perfect! The pasta shapes were lions, elephants, turtles, giraffes, and hippos. This would have been great for the Lion King as well.
Baloo's fruit skewers. This seemed fitting since Baloo stacks prickly pears and fruit on his claws during the movie.
HD is a big fan of themed movie nights.
Mowgli's animal friends pasta with alfredo sauce.
After dinner the kids painted some pictures of the Jungle Book characters.
While Little Man painted I taped his colored pieces onto his jungle crown.
When HD was done painting her picture she went to work on her crown as well.
She loved it when it was finished!
Then she cute out the Kaa craft. (She always sticks her tongue out when she's concentrating)
We were going to tape him to a stick but HD had more fun balancing him on her finger.
Then it was time to get down Baloo and Mowgli style. I turned on some songs from the movie and we boogied down in our living room.

After working up our appetites again we sat down to enjoy King Louie's banana splits.
Then it was time to watch the movie.
HD made sure everyone had their ticket!
We had to pull out and enjoy some jungle vines (red vines sticks) while watching the movie.
 
 We also had some jungle animal sponges that I'd bought at Dollar Tree. They come in a little gel capsule and when placed in warm water they melt and out pops an animal shaped sponge. HD did a couple of these but I didn't get any pictures of it.
 
To see the blogs and websites that I got inspiration from please visit my Jungle Book Movie Night board on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment